When I decided to knit myself some Valentine socks I never realized how much they would teach me. (Queue the violin)
First, I was really excited, I couldn't wait to start knitting. I was even content with just holding the the yarn in my hands.
Then I cast on, oh how I cast on! I cast on with complete and utter abandonment. Who cared that I had never used this size needle before, who cared that I didn't wind the yarn into a ball first. I was knitting dammit and that is all that mattered.
Then I came across a knot in the skein. Oh well I would just have to rip out the ribbing and cut out that section. But, I would wind the skein into a cake first, you know, to avoid any more surprises.
Once I wound the yarn I cast on again, this time everything was perfect. My gauge was good and my stitches were immaculate. I knit most of the cuff in one night. When I grew sleepy I lay the sock lovingly on my basket and went to bed. While in bed I couldn't stop thinking about my beautiful perfectly simple sock. I couldn't wait until our next encounter.
Yarn: Austerman Step- Needles: KnitPicks Harmony DPNs 2.5mm (US 1.5)
The next morning was busy so me and the sock had to wait until the gurlies were in school and Scratchy was taking her nap before we could get together again. But we knew we could wait and once we were together we knew it would be perfect.
But at some point during my very busy morning, Scratchy had taken out all the needles and pulled 3 different sections ALL.THE.WAY.DOWN.TO.THE.CUFF!!!
Damn, I would have to start all over again, but it was worth it, in the end my socks would be beautiful. So I did, I ripped out the socks and recast on. I knit along merrily until it was time to pick up the gurlies from school. I did the only responsible thing to do and ignored the dishes in the sink, I also ignored the laundry in the dryer. I fed the girls peanut butter and jelly sandwiches after school and continued knitting. No sacrifice was too great.
When it was time to make dinner I quickly made mac and cheese with broccoli and went back to my sock. To my total and complete horror, Scratchy had taken out the needles once again and this time SHE.BROKE.A.NEEDLE!!! I was starting to think this little broad had something against my socks.
I ripped down to the last undisturbed round of stitches and luckily KP Harmonies come in sets of 6, so one broken needle wouldn't kill my socks. I was good. Love takes commitment after all. I continued knitting.
Pattern: Garter Rib by Charlene Schurch 64 stitches, flap and gusset heel.
The heel flap and the turning of the heel went off without a hitch. Then I decided it was time to show Twitter what I was up to. As I slipped on the sock for a quick cellphone shot another needle broke!!! Noooo I heard someone scream @#$% NOOOOOOO!!!
Then I realized it was me. I knit with only four DPNs but I use five for the gusset, I knew that once I knit the second sock I was royally screwed, because this was the ONLY set of needles I have in this size. One should always have backups.
(Then I remembered that I had DPNs in this size BUT they were the Nickle plated kind. And I knit tighter with them so my second sock would be significantly tighter that the first and the stripes may not line up. Crap! THEN, I remembered that I had them in wood but they were circulars, screw it I would magic loop the gusset on the second sock)
I finished the first sock and went on to the second, luckily that one didn't have so many encounters with Ms. Scratchy and I was able to only screw up the heel turn once, the gusset twice and the toe three times. Pretty uneventful eh? NOT
These socks taught me that Love takes patience, perseverance, work and determination. Not just romantic love, but any type of love, whether it's with your kids, your friends, your family or your faith. Sometimes there's anger, pain and resentment, but you must work through it if you really want it to work out.
I guess these are VERY wise socks. THAT or I just think about knitting too deeply.
Be good.
3 comments:
You gotta quit letting scratchy play with needles--razor blades are more fun! ;)
also, in that first picture, it looks like you are dancin' on the ceiling---or the wall.
Please, don't be so silly, razorblades are for babies. Switchblades are for toddlers and much more practical. and you're right, i'm dancing on the the ceiling. It's all the rage in Australia.
Post a Comment